Inspired by Sandra lee's Baklava Roll-ups, I made these rolls with some variations of my own. Hope you will like it too.
- Phyllo sheets - 14 (thawed as per the directions on the packet)
- Melted unsalted Butter - 1 cup (or you can use butter spray)
- Pistachio - to garnish.
For the filling
- Walnuts- finely chopped - 1/2 cup
- Almonds- 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Sesame seeds- 1/3 cup (roasted and chopped) - optional
- Sugar- 1 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder- 1/2 teaspoon
(You can use food processor to chop the nuts and sesame seeds)
For the Syrup
- Water- 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 Cup
- Honey- 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract- 1 teaspoon
For the Syrup
- Boil water and sugar in a pan for about 10 minutes
- Add honey and boil for 5 more minutes
- Add vanilla extract and let it cool.
For the Baklava
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling and keep aside
- Take two phyllo sheets at a time and lay on a flat surface one on top of the other, make sure to cover the rest of the sheets with damp cloth to prevent drying as they dry out very fast.
- Brush or spray the butter on the entire surface of the top sheet
- Spread the filling all over the surface and start rolling from one side.
- Make sure to keep brushing the butter as much as you can while rolling
- Grease the baking pan lightly with butter and put the rolls in the pan
- 14 sheets will make around 7 such roll
- Bake these for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Don't forget to preheat the oven!
- Keep checking after abt 30 minutes to make sure they are brown and don't burn
- Take them out and cut into pieces (you may also consider cutting before baking, i did after baking but I will try cutting it before baking next time)
- Spread the syrup all over the hot baklava specially into the cuts so that it is absorbed nicely.
- Garnish with chopped pistachio.
- Serve at room temperature and keep uncovered, they get soggy if kept covered.
- Make sure to make sugar syrup before they are baked because you need to put warm or room temperature syrup over hot Baklava.
- You can use any nuts of your choice for the filling.