There are three different types of urad dals. The whole black urad which is used to make the popular Dal Makhani, the split washed urad dal ( Recipe Here)and the split black urad which is the one shown above.
All three urad dals have a significant difference in taste and all three are enjoyed in my house equally.
This recipe is for split black urad (urad chilka). Rich in protein and fiber, this highly nutritious dal is full of flavors and can be a satisfying and wholesome meal when served with roti, rice or naan.
Prep Time- 10 min
Cook Time - 25 min
- Split black urad- 3/4th cup
- Medium Onion - half (chopped)
- Medium tomato- 1 Chopped
- Ginger- 1 inch shredded
- Garlic - 3/4th teaspoon chopped
- Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder- 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th teaspoon
- Red chilli Powder- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Salt- to taste
- Oil - 1 teaspoon
- Jeera- 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder- to taste
- Wash dal
- In a pressure cooker add dal and all the ingredients for dal with 3 cups of water.
- Pressure cook till 10 - 12 whistles( you can also soak the dal for an hour to reduce the cooking time )
- Open the lid and cook on open flame till the dal becomes smooth and you get the desired thickness.
- Adjust water to your preference.
- In a seperate pan - heat oil
- Add jeera till it splutters
- Close the heat and add red chilli powder
Pour the tadka over the dal and serve!
you may need less or more whistles depending on your cooker, for me it was 12 whistles without soaking.