I never used to like bitter gourd (karela). I always used to avoid eating this vegetable in any form untill I tasted this karela sabzi made by my MIL. I couldn't believe karela can be so tasty and since then I am a fan of this recipe. This one is easy to make and can be kept in refrigerator for 7 to 8 days.
It comes handy when you just don't want to make many things except for simple rice and dal. This fulfills the need of the side dish. Or just eat it with paranthas in breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Its easy to make and if you are one of those who don't like Bitter Gourd, this recipe has the potential to turn you into a bitter gourd lover too.
Here is the recipe for Bitter Gourd (karela) Sabzi
Preparation time- 5 minutes
Cook time - 30 to 40 minutes
- Karela (Bitter Gourd)- 1 big
- Onion - 1 big (cut in squares)
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Saunf (Fennel seeds)- 1 tbsp (coarsely ground)
- Salt - to taste
- Mango powder- 1/2tsp
- Wash and cut bitter gourd in rounds
- Soak in salted water for 1/2 an hour, drain
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan
- Add Onions and bitter gourd together and cook on medium high for 5 minutes.
- Add all the powdered spices except Mango powder and cook for 1 more minute
- Now reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Make sure to keep checking and stirring in between.
- Add mango powder and cook for 10 more minutes or till done.