Bottlegourd also called Lauki or Dudhi in India is one of the lesser loved vegetables; but I think liking or disliking towards a vegetable depends a lot upon how its cooked.
This Indian dish which I call Rasedar Lauki is my favourite way of eating bottleguard, It is very mild yet very tasty!
Bottleguard is low in calories and fat and high in fiber. A cup of cooked bottleguard contains approximately 18 calories and 4 g of carbohydrates. This makes this dish good for weight watchers who are looking for tasty recipes.
Preparation time- 5 minutes
Cook time - 15 minutes
- Lauki (Bottle guard) - washed, peeled and cut in squares ( 1 1/2 cup)
- Onion- chopped (1 cup)
- Tomatoes- chopped (1/2 cup)
- Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera (cumin seeds) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4th tsp
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tbsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker
- Add Jeera(cumin) and let it splutter.
- Add onions and cook on medium heat till translucent
- Add garlic and all masala powders(powdered spices), cook for few seconds.
- Now add tomatoes and cook till oil separates
- Add lauki (bottlegourd), mix well and close the lid
- Cook till three whistles.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with nan, roti or rice.