Rajma masala, red kidney beans prepared in spicy tomato, onion, garlic masala is a popular dish in many Indian households. It can be eaten with roti, naan, poori etc but it tastes best with rice/chawal. Rajma chawal is one of the favorite comfort foods in my house! Its delicous and healthy.
Though this dish takes time to cook ; at least 8 hours of soaking and lots of whistles in the pressure cooker but it is still simple to make!. So I keep it for those days when I don't plan to be standing in the kitchen preparing a long meal. It is absolutely satisfying when eaten with boiled white rice and is surely a crowd pleaser.
Preparation time - 8 hours (including soak time)
Cook time - 30 to 40 minutes
Serves - approx 3
- Rajma - 1 cup
- Onion- 2 medium (chopped finely)
- Tomatoes- 2 small (chopped)
- Bay leaf- 1
- Garlic grated - 1 tbsp
- Badi elaichi(big cardamom) - 1
- Laung (cloves)- 2
- Whole red chilli- 1 big
- Coriander powder- 1 tbspn
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp or to t
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Mango powder- 1 tsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Soak Rajma overnight or for 7 to 8 hours
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add whole red chili, bayleaf, laug and badi elaichi
- Cook for few seconds and add onions
- Cook Onions on medium heat till translucent
- Add garlic and all the powdered spices except garam masala and mango powder
- Cook for a minute and add tomatoes
- Cook the masala on medium low heat till oil starts separating
- Now add soaked Rajma, 3 cups water and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook for 12 to 14 whistles or till done
- Open the lid and add mango powder and garam masala powder, mix well
- Taste the salt and Serve hot with chapati, parantha, or rice.
Note - It took me about 14 whistles for the rajma to be cooked perfectly but since every pressure cooker is different, you may need to adjust the cooking time as per your cooker.