While making Aloo Gobhi today I realized that I have not even covered(in my blog) the basic vegetables(sabzi) and lentils(dals) that make most part of our daily meals. I make this aloo gobhi almost every other week but still don't have a post about it yet. So I hope to at least cover these recipes that I make regularly in coming posts.
Although aloo gobhi is a very simple and basic dish to prepare, I have to accept that it took some time for me to really get my aloo gobhi right every time. The cauliflower I get where I live cooks very quickly and potatoes take some time to cook, so I cook the potatoes for 5 -6 minutes in microwave and then add to the pan to cook with the gobhi.
There is no one way to make aloo gobhi, I make it in three different ways,, but this one in onion tomato masala is the favorite. Vegan and gluten free. Enjoy!
Prep time- 10 Minutes
Cook Time- 25 Minutes
Serves- 3 to 4
- Washed cauliflower florets- 1 1/2 cups
- Two medium onions - finely chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato - chopped
- 2 pods of garlic - grated
- 1 Inch ginger- chopped
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilli powder- 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Mango powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil to cook
- Some water
- Peel and cut the potatoes in cubes, wash and microwave for 5 to 6 minutes in some water.
- Heat oil in a pan or wok and add onions, cook till onions are light brown and start leaving oil.
- Add garlic and cook for few seconds
- Now add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and chill powder, mix well
- Add Gobhi florets, ginger and potatoes mix well to coat all the pieces well.
- Add tomatoes, mix well and reduce the heat to low, cover and let it cook for about 15 minutes. Keep stirring in between
- Sprinkle some water if its too dry and sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Cook till done.
- Add Garam masala powder and mango powder in the end and mix well
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves ad serve.
- You may not need to boil the potatoes before. I do that because if I add potatoes and cauliflower at the same time in the masala, the gobhi gets mushy by the time potatoes are cooked.
- Other alternative is to cook the potatoes in the masala for few minutes before adding cauliflower.